4 charged in fatal shooting at Bronx basketball tournament, including 2 teens

Aug. 25, 2025, 8:41 a.m.

A man was killed and four others were injured in the incident in Baychester.

A police car of the New York Police Department.

Four people, including two teenagers, were arrested and charged Sunday in connection with a shooting that killed one man and injured four other people at a Bronx basketball tournament, NYPD officials said.

Police said 20-year-old Bronx resident Daeven Reyes, a 16-year-old boy and a 17-year-old boy were each charged with murder, four counts of attempted murder, criminal weapon possession and gang assault. Robert Royal, a 25-year-old Bronx resident, was charged with murder, four counts of attempted murder and criminal weapon possession.

Officials said all four were taken into custody in the Bronx precinct where the shooting took place and were awaiting arraignments in criminal court early Monday.

Attorneys for Reyes and Royal could not immediately be reached for comment. Police did not identify the teens because they are minors.

The shooting unfolded around 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Baychester’s Haffen Park during a basketball game, according to the NYPD. Five people were struck, including 32-year-old Highbridge resident Jaceil Banks, who police said was hit in his chest and pronounced dead at Jacobi Hospital.

A 17-year-old girl was struck in her head and critically injured, officials said. She was watching the tournament while visiting her old neighborhood from Connecticut, the New York Daily News reported.

The three others injured in the shooting included a 30-year-old man who was struck in his back, a 29-year-old woman who was struck in her back and a 42-year-old man who was shot in his arm, according to police. All three went to local hospitals and were listed in stable condition.

Detectives on Monday were still looking into what sparked the shooting, officials said.

NYPD data shows gun violence is up so far this year in the 47th Precinct, where the shooting occurred, despite a roughly 20% decline citywide. At least 25 people had been shot in 21 incidents in the precinct through Aug. 17. Those were 19% and 50% increases, respectively, over the same period in 2024.

This is a developing story based on information from police and may be updated.

Gothamist’s map of shootings across New York City shows where gun violence has been most concentrated over the past five years.

One dead, several others injured in gunfire at Bronx park